With winter just days away, we are looking forward to cosy nights at home with soul-warming food and a nice glass of red wine. For a truly winter-worthy recipe, look no further than this yummo vegan curry by Courtenay Perks from Whole Vegan Pantry.
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 bunch of coriander, remove and discard the root and finely chop the stalk. Save the leaves for garnish
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, skin removed and finely diced
- 1 red bullet chilli, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- ½ tsp whole mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 x 400ml tin whole Roma tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 500ml water with 1 tbs vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 kg sweet potatoes, skinned and roughly chopped
- 200g baby spinach, washed
- Juice of 1 lime
- Heat half the oil in a large deep saucepan. Add onion and sauté five minutes over low to medium heat.
- Add garlic, chopped coriander stalks, ginger and chilli and sauté for three mins.Remove from heat.
- Using remaining olive oil, blend cumin, coriander, turmeric, garam masala and mustard seeds roughly with handheld blender. Add this curry paste to the pan and sauté for a minute.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, coconut milk, sweet potato and veg stock. Continue to cook over low heat for 30 mins or until sweet potato is soft and curry is saucey. Remove from the heat and mix in the spinach until it wilts.
- Dish your curry with quinoa, coriander and a squeeze of lime juice.