by Mandy Sacher, paediatric nutritionist, mum and author of Wholesome Child: Complete Nutrition Guide and Cookbook
Store-bought banana breads are often overloaded with processed flours, sugars and unhealty fats. This far healthier recipe contains wholegrain spelt flour, a reduced amount of unprocessed sugar, coconut oil and chia seeds. It is dairy-free, nut-free, wheat-free and vegetarian friendly.
This recipe is also easily made gluten-free – see the tip section below.
You will need: High-speed food processor
Makes: 1 loaf
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (125ml) coconut milk
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- 1/2 cup (125ml) coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 cups (210g) wholemeal spelt flour
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup (55-75g) coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla powder or extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180℃ and line a medium-sized loaf tin with baking paper.
- Place bananas, eggs, milk, dates, chia seeds and coconut oil in a high-speed food processor and blend for approximately 1 minute or until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- In a separate bowl whisk together spelt flour, coconut sugar, vanilla powder, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into wet mixtrure and mix together on a medium speed.
- Pour mixture into the loaf tin and sprinkle extra cinnamon on top.
- Bake for approximately 45 to 55 mins or until a cake tester or knife comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting.
Serving and storing leftovers: Serve immediately, store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week or freeze for up to four months.
Tip: For a gluten-free version, use one-and-a-half cups buckwheat flour, one cup almond meal and one teaspoon psyllium husk powder instead of the two cups of spelt flour.
You might also like: Winter Warmer: Lentil and sweet potato curry recipe, Soul Food: Sweet potato and almond butter brownies, and Soul Food: Supercharged bolognaise.