We all know that breakfast as the most important meal of the day. But let’s face it, mornings in most mama households are more than a little cray cray.
Whether you’ve been up half the night tending to little ones or are chasing kids out the door, it’s important to feed your body with a combination of proteins, fats and nutrients to set yourself up for a successful day.
A smoothie is by far the quickest and most effective way to consume a nutrient-dense meal on the go.
All smoothies have the same major components to it, so it’s easy to customise them to your own unique taste buds. Be sure to invest in the most wholesome, nutritious ingredients possible for maximum health benefits.
This simple template will get you started…
- Liquid base: water, plant-based milk, coconut water, dairy, juice (caution when using juice due to the sugar content).
- Fruits: frozen or fresh banana, berries, apples, pineapple, mango (careful not to use too much sweet fruit).
- Leafy greens and other veggies like spinach, kale, beetroot greens. The sweet fruit will usually overtake the taste of leafy greens, so add a generous portion.
- Healthy fats like avocado, coconut butter, sprouted flax, nut butters.
- Protein: pea protein, whey, hemp, silken tofu.
- Sweetener: use a touch of honey, maple syrup, or agave.
- Nutritional boosts: chia, flax, greens powders, reds powders, collagen, probiotics, aloe, cacao, matcha, fibre, sprouted grains.
- Additional spices like turmeric, ginger, mint, basil. For maximum absorption, use fermented turmeric, so the spices are ‘pre-digested’ and ready to be absorbed by your gut.
5 Minute Recipes
- ¼ cup frozen pineapple
- ¼ cup of mango
- 1 leaf of kale – remove stalk
- Coconut milk
- 1 opened capsule of fermented turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of sprouted ground flax seeds
- Vanilla protein powder of choice (aim for one made from organic plant protein)
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of cardamom
Instructions: Blitz and enjoy! The combination of pineapple and turmeric are great for staving off inflammation.
Vegan Choco Dream Thickshake
- 2-2½ cups almond or coconut milk
- 3 Medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons cacao
- 1 banana, broken into chunks & frozen
- 1 tsp mixed spice or cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon organic sprouted flax
- 1 tablespoon organic sprouted chia
Instructions: Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blitz until well combined. If required, add more liquid to reduce the consistency of the shake. Pour into a glass and serve!
Note: Due to the flax and chia (or LSA), this drink will thicken on standing. If left for some time before consuming, you may need to add more liquid and stir, before serving.