By Courtenay Perks, Whole Vegan Pantry
Hot days call for ice-cream cookie sandwiches. These a nutrient packed for my girls. And YUM!
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups coconut sugar
- 2 tsps vanilla extract paste
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 1/4 cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 tsp aluminium free baking soda
- 2 cups Loving Earth dark chocolate chopped
- Himalayan sea salt, ground
- 2 cans chilled full-fat Thai coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract paste
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Mix all ingredients but salt. Knead with clean hands.
- Using an ice-cream scoop form balls and squash onto a lined baking trays. Cook in the oven for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool, and sprinkle with ground sea salt.
- To make, the ice-cream, place the coconut milk, coconut sugar and vanilla in a blender. Blend until combined.
- Freeze using a prepared ice-cream machine. I have a Kitchen Aid ice-cream maker. You can serve immediately for a soft serve texture or place in a cake tin and freeze for a firmer texture.
To make the cookie sandwiches, use firm ice-cream to form cookie sandwiches, scoop ice-cream and squash onto the cookies, followed by another cookie. Place in the freezer for 10 mins to firm up.