Wanna boost your gut health? Here are 3 delicious and kid-friendly breakfast recipes.
By Mama Disrupt®
Breakfast is such an important start to the day, and incorporating yoghurt can give your little ones that gut-friendly boost. Here are three scrummy breakfast ideas that are easy to whip up and packed with goodness.
Remember, the aim is to make these recipes as fun and engaging for the kids as possible – let them get involved where they can, it’s a wonderful way to introduce them to the joys of healthy eating and the importance of looking after their tummies.
Enjoy your cooking adventures!
Berry-licious Yoghurt Parfait
Greek yoghurt (rich in probiotics)
Granola (look for one high in fibre and low in sugar)
Fresh mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries – the works!)
Honey (optional, for a touch of sweetness)
Chia seeds (for extra fibre and omega-3s)
- Begin by layering a spoonful of Greek yoghurt at the bottom of a clear glass or jar.
- Add a layer of granola on top of the yoghurt.
- Toss a handful of mixed berries over the granola.
- Repeat the layering process until the glass is nearly full, ending with a berry layer.
- Drizzle a small amount of honey over the top if you like, and sprinkle with chia seeds for an extra nutrient boost.
- Serve immediately and watch the little faces light up with each colourful layer they dig into!
Gut-Friendly Smoothie Bowl
1 cup of plain kefir (a fermented yoghurt drink full of probiotics)
1 frozen banana (for creaminess and natural sweetness)
½ cup of mixed frozen berries
A handful of spinach (for iron and a hidden veggie win)
Toppings: sliced banana, a sprinkle of granola, coconut flakes, and a few berries
- In a blender, combine kefir, frozen banana, frozen berries, and spinach.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and let your kids sprinkle on their choice of toppings – this bit’s like an art project they can eat!
Sunny Tropical Yoghurt Muffins
2 cups of wholemeal flour (for added fibre)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup Greek yoghurt (it’s all about the gut-friendly bacteria)
¾ cup of raw sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup coconut oil (melted)
1 cup chopped pineapple (for a bit of tropical fun)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- In one bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, mix the Greek yoghurt, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and melted coconut oil until well combined.
- Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined, then fold in the pineapple.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cases and bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Once done, let them cool before serving. These muffins are great for on-the-go breakfasts or lazy weekend mornings.
Sign up to our newsletter for weekly mama goodness delivered straight to your inbox, like the VIP that you are.