Want a healthy – but still fun – treat to serve up for your little ones this Halloween? Look no further than these Quinoa & beef stuffed capsicums.
by Mandy Sacher, paediatric nutritionist, mum and author of Wholesome Child: Complete Nutrition Guide and Cookbook
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- 4 medium-sized red capsicums
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 small zucchini, finely cubed or grated
- 1 cup (250ml) tomato passata
- 1 cup baby spinach, finely chopped
- 2 tbs fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tbs goat’s cheese or feta, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Slice each capsicum in half vertically and remove the pulp and seeds from inside. Place in a baking dish or on a baking tray and bake in oven for 15 mins, take out and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for two to three minutes, or until soft.
- Add beef, breaking up meat into pieces and cook until browned, approximately three to four minutes.
- Add zucchini, tomato passata, spinach and parsley and simmer on medium heat for three to four minutes.
- Add quinoa and season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff capsicums with as much filling as will fit. Return to oven and continue roasting until very soft, about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and serve with fresh herbs on top.
- Serve immediately.
Storing leftovers: Store in the fridge for up to three days or freeze for up to four months.
Tip: Swap quinoa for one cup of brown rice and zucchini for mushrooms, carrots or vegetable of choice.