If you’re a breastfeeding or pumping mum [or you plan to be], you need a quick and easy recipe for lactation cookies. Well mama, this is it!
By Jessica Prescott and Vaughne Gear
We don’t use brewer’s yeast in this recipe because the amount required in order for it to have galactagogue properties makes the cookies taste horrendous. Instead, we use the galactagogue properties of oats, almonds and peanut butter with an added boost of omegas from our signature seed trio to bring you a cookie that’s quick, easy and delicious.
QUICKEST EASIEST LACTATION COOKIES
MAKES 15 COOKIES
160 g (5¹/2 oz/ 1/2 cup) maple syrup
200 g (7 oz/ 3/4 cup) natural peanut butter
90 g (31/4 oz/scant 1 cup) ground almonds
90 g (31/4 oz/scant 1 cup) quick oats
11/2 teaspoons baking powder 30 g (1 oz/ 1/4 cup) cacao powder
1 tablespoon hemp seeds
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 tablespoon ground linseeds (flax seeds)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a tray with baking paper.
- Combine the maple syrup and peanut butter in a bowl. If necessary, heat gently to loosen.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix to combine.
- Roll the mixture into 15 balls and place on the lined baking tray. Flatten them with a fork or your palm to about 1 cm (1/2 in) thick.
- Bake for 8–10 minutes, or until you can smell them.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a tray.
- These cookies will keep in an airtight jar for at least a month.
This is a recipe from Life After Birth by Jessica Prescott and Vaughne Gear