by Mandy Sacher, paediatric nutritionist, mum and author of Wholesome Child: Complete Nutrition Guide and Cookbook
Looking for a summer-perfect recipe that will delight the entire fam bam? Then look no further than this Roast chicken in marinade recipe that is gluten and nut-free.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: One hour (+ 15 minutes resting time)
- 1 whole organic chicken (1.5kg)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs mild paprika powder
- 4-6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2-3 tbs fresh sage, finely chopped
- 2-3 tbs fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2-3 tbs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 organic lemon
- 2-3 extra rosemary sprigs
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Rinse the chicken, pat dry with paper towel and place in a roasting tin.
- Whisk the olive oil in a small bowl along with the paprika, garlic, sage, parsley, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the top of the chicken and rub all over. Make sure the chicken is coated evenly.
- Place the lemon inside the chicken’s cavity along with a few extra rosemary sprigs.
- Tuck the chicken wings behind the back to keep them from burning in the oven and tie the legs together with a piece of kitchen twine (optional).
- Roast the chicken for about an hour, (turning halfway) or until cooked through.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Serving and storing leftovers: Serve immediately, store in the fridge for up to three days or freeze for up to four months.
Tip: Add some potatoes or sweet potatoes and vegetables such as carrots, celery, parsnips and onions, drizzle with extra olive oil and half a cup of water and roast with the chicken.
You might also like: Soul Food: Lamb kofta recipe, Soul Food: Sweet potato and almond butter brownies, and Soul Food: Supercharged bolognaise.