By Courtenay Perks, Whole Vegan Pantry
Who loves Ramen Night? I don’t eat a lot of tofu, but when I do, I love it! This from-scratch vegan curry paste and ramen recipe is delish. Serves: 4
Yellow curry paste
- 4 large shallots skin on
- 4 full heads of garlic
- 1 thumb size piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 10 dried Thai chilies, soak in hot water
- 3 tbs turmeric
- 3 tbs curry powder
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbs lemongrass paste (most supermarkets have this)
- 1 bunch fresh coriander leaves and stems washed and chopped
- Fresh kale
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 400g block of firm organic tofu
- 1 tbs rice wine vinegar/mirin
- 1 tbs tamari
- 1/4 bunch organic kale leaves washed
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- Ground Himalayan sea salt
- 400g buckwheat ramen noodles, cooked following instructions
- 400ml tin Thai coconut milk
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 tbs cold pressed organic olive oil
- 1 tbs white sesame seeds
- A sprinkle of chilli flakes
- 1 green chilli, sliced
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- To make the paste, pull the outer layer off the garlic bulbs. Cut the tops off the garlic. Wrap each shallot and garlic bulb in foil and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and carefully remove the foil. Once cooled enough to touch, remove the soft shallot flesh and garlic from the skins.
- Blend all other past ingredients in a food processor until it resembles a paste. Store in a jar in the fridge.
- Now to prepare the kale. Mix kale, coconut oil and a little salt and place on a baking tray and into the hot oven. Bake for eight minutes until just crispy. Remove from the oven.
- To make the crispy tofu, in a saucepan, heat coconut oil and pan fry the tofu on all sides until golden. Add mirin and Tamari and stir over heat to caramelise. Remove from the pan and place on baking paper.
- In a deep saucepan sauté onion in olive oil until soft.
- Add two tablespoons of the yellow curry paste and stir over low heat.
- Add one can coconut milk and one cup almond milk. Stir over the heat for three minutes to heat well.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls. Divide noodles and tofu between the bowls, and garnish with crispy tofu, kale chips, spring onion, chilli slices, sesame seeds and dried chilli flakes.