by Mandy Sacher, paediatric nutritionist, mum and author of Wholesome Child: Complete Nutrition Guide and Cookbook
Who doesn’t love a pikelet for breakfast, lunch, dinner or a snack? This Banana pikelet recipe has a healthy twist and is gluten and dairy free.
Prep time: 3-5 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
Makes: 16 mini pikelets
Equipment: Hand-held blender
- 2 eggs
- 1 ripe banana
- 1-2 tbs almond meal
- 1 tsp arrowroot
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- Pinch sea salt
- Coconut oil, for frying
- Using a hand-held blender, combine eggs and banana together until smooth consistency is reached.
- Add almond meal, arrowroot, cinnamon and salt and whisk to combine.
- Heat coconut oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Place one tablespoon of mixture in pan and reduce heat.
- Turn over when small bubbles appear or until golden brown on each side, approximately one minute each side.
Serving and storing leftovers: Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to four days or freeze for up to four months.
Tip: Add 1 tablespoon of chia seeds, 1 tablespoon of coconut flour or 1 tablespoon of protein powder.