Kids go crazy over unicorns and rainbows, so they’ll love this unicorn board with its deliciously adorable face, horn, ears and eyelashes.
By Maegan Brown
Do you believe in magic? If not, you certainly will after creating and enjoying this magical unicorn board filled with the sweetest of treats that will make all your snacking dreams come true.
Unicorns and rainbows are all the rage, so what’s not to love about an adorable unicorn face adorned with a horn, ears, eyelashes, and even some blushing cheeks.
Unicorns are just adorbs.
Serves 12+ people
Use a 20 x 13-inch (51 x 33 cm) board with a lip
1 sugar ice-cream cone
1 container (12 ounces, or 336 g) whipped fluffy white frosting, divided
1 container (2 ounces, or 56 g) gold sugar sprinkles
12 Birthday Cake Rice Krispies Treats, cut in half, divided
2 cups (60 g) candy-coated popcorn
½ bag (6 ounces, or 168 g) pink candy melts
1 black licorice lace, for the facial features
10 tiny pink star-shaped sprinkles, for the blushing cheeks
10 to 12 pastel twisted marshmallow strands, for the mane
22 to 24 multicolored marshmallows
15 mini rainbow Twizzlers Twizted Strawberry Blast Pull ‘n’ Peel candy
18 candy-coated and rainbow-sprinkled pretzels
¼ cup (120 g) Jelly Belly Smoothie Blend jelly beans
12 rainbow lollipops
16 pink wafer cookies
15 white-striped cookies
¼ cup (120 g) Tropical Skittles
- Coat the sugar cone with some of the whipped white frosting and immediately sprinkle it with the gold sugar sprinkles. Let dry until set on a plate. This will become the unicorn’s horn.
- Cut 2 of the Rice Krispies Treats into triangles and spread one side of each with the whipped white frosting. Let dry until set. These will become the unicorn’s ears.
- Lay the popcorn flat on a piece of parchment paper.
- Melt the pink candy melts according to the package directions. Transfer the melted candy coating to a quart-size plastic bag and cut a tiny piece off one of the bottom corners of the bag. Drizzle the candy coating over the popcorn. Let dry until set.
- Evenly spread the remaining frosting onto an 8-inch (20 cm) round white plate with a small rim for the unicorn’s face.
- Cut the strand of black licorice lace to create the eyelashes and smile on the face. Place the pink star sprinkles on the frosting as the blushing cheeks.
- Lay the marshmallow strands around the top and sides of the face/plate to create the unicorn’s mane.
- Arrange the multicolored marshmallows from the face/plate down toward the bottom-left corner of the board.
- Set the remaining 10 Rice Krispies Treats to the right of the marshmallows and work your way around the unicorn’s face with the snacks in this order: Pull ‘n’ Peel Twizzlers, coated pretzels, jelly beans, lollipops, pink wafer cookies, popcorn, white- striped cookies, and Skittles.
- Place the sugar cone horn in the centre of the unicorn’s head. Use the coated Rice Krispies Treats triangles to create the unicorn’s ears on top of the hair.
Images and text from Beautiful Boards by Maegan Brown, photography by Jerrelle Guy, Rock Point Gift & Stationery RRP $24.99