By Chasca Summerville
Ayurveda offers many beautiful self-care practices that you can follow from the comfort of your own home, using simple ingredients and tools.
These practices are designed to help you slow down and nourish yourself.
They are particularly potent during times of heightened emotion, stress and insomnia as they allow your body to become flooded with a sense of inner peace.
Have fun exploring the various techniques and don’t be afraid to adapt them to suit your own personal style.
Luscious rose body butter
A wonderful all-over body butter that is deeply moisturising and protective.
It can be used to provide nourishment to the skin, hands, nails, cuticles, feet, heels, elbows and knees; to support the skin during pregnancy and prevent stretch marks ; or as a soothing baby cream.
This cream is also very effective in healing and reducing scar tissue or can be massaged into various parts of the body that may benefit from some extra TLC, such as the heart, breasts or externally over the womb.
Makes 285 g (10 oz)
200ml shea butter, melted 1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon castor oil
½ cup (125 ml/4 fl oz) jojoba or sweet almond oil
1–2 teaspoons dried rose powder
10–15 drops of rose essential oil (optional)
- Heat 5 cm (2 in) of water in a large saucepan on the lowest heat to create a double boiler.
- Add the shea butter and coconut oil to a glass beaker or heat-proof glass jar and place it in the water until the oils have completely melted (about 20 minutes).
- Remove the beaker from the heat and place it in the freezer for about 45 minutes until it begins to firm up but is still soft enough to whip.
- Pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl and add the remaining ingredients, using between 1–2 teaspoons of rose powder depending how pink you would like it to be. Use a handheld or electric whisk to create a luscious, creamy butter much like whipped cream.
- Scoop into a sterilised glass jar, with a lid and allow it to set in the fridge for 30 minutes.
– Avoid using essential oils for baby cream or natural sex lubricant.
– This makes a wonderful gift; top with a few dried rose petals in a nice glass jar.
This is an edited extract from Ayurvedic Rituals: Wisdom, Recipes and the Ancient Art of Self-Care by Chasca Summerville, published by Hardie Grant Books, RRP $34.99, available in-stores nationally.