by Mandy Sacher, paediatric nutritionist, mum and author of Wholesome Child: Complete Nutrition Guide and Cookbook
For a healthy take on a weekend breakfast favourite, you can’t go by this Pumpkin, banana & cinnamon French toast recipe.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (125ml) coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- ½ banana, mashed
- ½ cup (125g) pumpkin puree
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- ½ tsp vanilla extract or powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp maple syrup, plus extra for topping
- Coconut oil or butter, for frying
- 6 slices of wholemeal/sourdough/gluten-free toast
- Fresh berries, optional
- Banana slices, optional
- In a big bowl whisk together all ingredients until well combined.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Dip a bread slice in the mixture, thoroughly coating both sides. Allow excess mixture to drain and place bread slice in frying pan.
- Fry for a few minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining bread slices.
- Serve with a little maple syrup drizzled on top and fresh berries and banana slices.
Tip: Swap pumpkin puree for sweet potato puree.
Serving and storing leftovers: Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to two days.