by Mandy Sacher, paediatric nutritionist, mum and author of Wholesome Child: Complete Nutrition Guide and Cookbook
Looking for a healthy vegan, gluten-free and nut-free snack that will delight little ones and mamas and papas? This recipe for Root vegetable chips is not only easy to make – they are delicious.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 25-30 mins
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large purple carrot
- 1 large beetroot
- 1 large parsnip
- 1 medium-sized turnip
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil, melted
- Sea salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Peel all vegetables and cut them into thin discs (2-3 mm).
- In large mixing bowl, combine all vegetable discs with the oil and a pinch of sea salt and toss.
- Place in a single layer onto the baking trays and bake for 25-30 mins or until crisp, rotating the tray every 7-10 mins.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack, then serve with homemade dips or as a side dish.
Servings and storing leftovers: Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to four days or use chopped up in an omelette.
You might also like: Soul Food: Lamb kofta recipe, Soul Food: Sweet potato and almond butter brownies, and Soul Food: Supercharged bolognaise.