by Mandy Sacher, paediatric nutritionist, mum and author of Wholesome Child: Complete Nutrition Guide and Cookbook
These sweet potato crackers are quick and easy to prepare, full of crunch and deliciousness. Plus, they are boosted with vitamin C and fibre, thanks to the addition of sweet potato. Perfect for fussy eaters who refuse to eat their veggies. Serve with any dip of choice and they are a fantastic addition for school lunchboxes.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, butter or coconut oil, at room temperature
- 1 cup sweet potato, steamed and mashed
- 2 ½ cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Add oil/butter and sweet potato to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients and process until a dough forms.
- Divide dough into two batches and place one half in between two sheets of baking paper. If dough seems too sticky, add a little more flour or lightly flour the baking sheet. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to 2-3 mm thick.
- Take top baking sheet off and using a pizza cutter, cut dough into 4x4cm squares (you can also bake it without cutting the dough and break it into pieces afterwards). Transfer to a baking tray.
- Repeat with other half of the dough and place on a second baking tray.
- Bake both batches for 20-25 mins or until golden. It will crisp up once it cools down.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack before serving.
You might also like: Soul Food: Lamb kofta recipe, Soul Food: Sweet potato and almond butter brownies, and Soul Food: Supercharged bolognaise.